Heyeveryoneohmyit’sbeenforeverrrr! Okay, I may have had a few (read: six) Red Bulls just to summon up the energy to write this post because it is going to be looooong. I have so much to share with you guys! I’m just going to start doing lunges as I write this because I HAVE ALL THE ENERGY NOW.
So, firstly, sorry for the insanely long absence but my life has been crazy. My sister got married in June, and then one of my best friends got married a week later. I was bridesmaid for my best friend’s wedding, which basically meant I got to wear as much makeup as Ru Paul and no one could say anything.
Look how awkward I look, like “is my face melting? I feel like it’s melting…”
So I was gone for pretty much all of June. Besides all of that, my car broke down and was gone for two months, I got a terrible kidney infection and…OH, OH…(sorry, I just remembered), I chopped TEN INCHES off my hair. I know this might not sound like a big deal but I have always worn my hair extremely long (think Rapunzel with hair extensions) so this was a HUUUUGE step for me. What do you guys think?
Note: The books aren’t mine…I’m not that smart
Ok, so it’s not exactly a pixie cut, but it was a very dramatic change for me and I have to say, I really prefer it.
Aaaanyway, beside all my hair drama, I had a lot of personal family drama too. Ugh. I don’t really think it would be appropriate to discuss it here, but it has taken its toll on me and I’ve kinda been wallowing in self pity (and wine) for the last few weeks too. Today, I felt like posting a blog and reconnecting will all of you, so here’s some virtual Oreos and milk. LET’S DO THIS THING.
Firstly, I must accept some awards. I also have to do some challenges (insert “challenge accepted” Barney Stinson quote) but I figure I should leave those for another day because this post is already getting a little:
The wonderful Erika Kind nominated me for….
FOUR AWARDS. I feel like this right now:
And Tina’s only got 3…pfft
I have to say, Erika is one of the most uplifting and positive people I have ever met here in the blogosphere. She is so kind and encouraging and I’m really glad to have met you, Erika. Please go check her out guys, she is really wonderful to connect with.
And so….*exaggerated drum roll*
The first award is The Encouraging Thunder Award. I already love the sound of this. *da da da da da da da da THUN-DER!*
Here are the rules I must abide by: (and woah that sounded intense)
What you can do with the award?
Post it on your blog
Grant other bloggers with the award
What you can’t do with the award?
Abuse or misuse the logo
Claim that it’s your own handmade logo
What you should do after receiving award:
Enjoy the award
At least give thanks via comments and likes and/or mentioning the blog who gave the award.
Mention your purpose in blogging
If there is a copy and paste award out there, I’m all over it because I totally just copied this from Erika’s post. Or c’d and p’d it to use our professional term which I didn’t just make up.
Okay, so my first task is to discuss my purpose in blogging.
Well, to be honest, I never really thought about that until now. I set up this blog at the suggestion of my partner who noticed that I was finding my summer holidays a little tedious. Since starting this blog two years ago, I have come into contact with some of the kindest, funniest and most talented people and I am so grateful for that. I suppose you could say that my purpose was to create a place that I could visit when I felt a little blue, a place that would either allow me to offload my problems, or to have a silly chat with a stranger and cheer me up. And that’s exactly what has happened. The thing is, I never thought about followers or any of that jazz, but now that I have over 1000 of you, I feel really really lucky. If my posts even make one or two of you smile from time to time, then that’s as noble a purpose as one could wish for.
And now for some nominees:
Okay, I’m going to choose two bloggers who always put a smile on my face when I talk to them and read their blogs: (btw, I smile when I talk to all of you, just in case you are all planning to send me shrivelled up raisins in the mail…I hate raisins.)
Apricots and Cream
No pressure to accept ladies but just a reminder that I think you’re both awesome 🙂
The next award is the Beautiful Bloggers Award
Let’s copy and paste some rules again, OH YEAH!
- Link to the blogger who took the time to nominate you.
- List seven random things about yourself.
- Nominate seven creative, beautiful bloggers.
- Notify the amazing people who you nominated for the award.
So again, Erika nominate me because she is amazing and has great taste and accepts bribes (hahahaha, not really, ahem hem hem).
Okay, by now I’ve shared so many of these facts that you guys almost know my bra size (we’re not quite there yet) so I’ll try to keep these fresh:
1. I was obsessed with the New Horizons flyby. It was like all my Christmases come at once.
2. My sister asked me to pick a song for her to walk up the aisle to. I picked a song that is super cliched in a lot of ways, but the words were perfect for her and her husband.
*bursts into tears*
3. At my best friend’s wedding, Jack and I may have had a little wine and had a dance off, air-guitared our way through two AC/DC songs and led everyone in a very drunken can-can dance. I also ate cake at four o clock in the morning and destroyed my face with the dyed icing. Classy.
4. I finally got my engagement ring. Here she is:
Yeah, you’re not getting a picture of my ugly hands because man, they are uuuuuugly.
These two agree…
Okay, they’re not that bad but they’re not as pretty as daisies. Yay for daisies.
5. If you haven’t yet read Harper Lee’s long-awaited novel, Go Set a Watchman, maybe skip this because there be spoilers ahead, matey. If you guys read a recent(ish) post of mine, you’ll have seen that my literary hero is none other than Atticus Finch. In To Kill a Mockingbird, Atticus is tolerant, wise and attempts to teach his children to recognise right from wrong and to learn the value of empathy. In the latest novel, Atticus is a rampant racist. It hurt right in my heart. The only thing is, GSAW was ever meant as a sequel to TKAM, but was actually an alternate draft of the novel. I know that Lee’s family did not want it published and now I can see why.
6. My cat can legitimately throw me dirty looks:
7. Here is a photo of me in primary school. If you can guess which one I am, I will give you all the invisible cookies:
Also, the bride that I was bridesmaid for is in this photo, as is my BFF that I talk to every day for hours on the phone. Everyone saw “awwww”.
Now onto my nominees for this award:
Inside the Life of Moi
Rae of Sparkles
Okay, so I know it said seven but I’m being all:
Woo, the Red Bull is holding out well and I’ve only had two questionable cardiac episodes so let’s keep going…
The next award is……
The Creative Blogger Award
I love receiving this award because I have never considered myself particularly creative. Any who, I have accepted this award before and so I would probably be repeating myself (as well as my facts…which just autocorrected to “haggis”…moving on), so I’ll just say a huge thank you to Erika again! Actually, you guys should check out her post for this award BECAUSE SHE HOLDS A FREAKIN’ TARANTULA. Here it is.
I will say that there are so many of you out there whose creativity inspires me every day, whether you’re musical like Rob, a fantastic writer like Trent, or Amanda, a wordsmith like Cheryl or Melanie, a beauty guru like Karen, a film buff like Mikey or V, an animal lover like Cats at the Bar or someone inspirational and uplifting like Erika, you continue to astound me with your collective knowledge and talent. I say talent because you all have so much to offer your readers and I really do appreciate it. Obviously these aren’t the only bloggers that I admire but if I had to list you all out, I would probably get arthritis and collapse. Probably.
Ooookaaaay. The last award from Erika is the Versatile Blogger Award, which I have also accepted before but am very grateful for. Ah, look at it.
Almost as nice as a shrubbery…random Monty Python reference of the day…
For this award, I am going to state five facts, only one of which is true.
If you can guess which one, the award is yours.
1. I once stole a boa constrictor from around the neck of a circus performer and ran about twenty metres before I was spear tackled to the ground. The snake was uninjured.
2. The only time I ever drank whiskey, I threw a bottle of coke at a cop.
3. I once did an impression of Al Pacino to a bar full of people and got served free shots all night.
4. My middle name is Muriel.
5. My mother was a hamster and my father smelled of elderberries.
So, if you guess correctly, YOU GET AN AWARD! That so needs to go on your résumé.
Finally, the brilliant Rob from The V-Pub has nominated me for the Infinity Dreams Award. His post on this is amazing, read it here.
The rules for this award are as follows:
1. Thank and follow the blog that nominated you.
2. Tell us 7 dreams of yours.
3. Nominate bloggers.
Thanks a million times to Rob! Here are seven dreams of mine:
1. Although I have loved teaching, my heart has always been in criminology. I have always had a huge interest in it, but when I was finishing school, there was nowhere in Ireland to actually study it. Maybe someday I will return to university to study it and become this guy:
2. I would love humans to discover life on another planet/moon in my lifetime. I would also love to see us conquer interstellar travel, but I fear that it may be a long way off.
3. I want to travel around the U.S., mostly because I’ve never been.
4. Someday, I want to own my own home, be happily married to Jack and have children. It might seem simple, but it also seems a long way off for us at the moment.
5. I want to make a difference to the world. No matter how small or seemingly inconsequential, I want to have contributed something. I have no idea what that might be just yet.
6. I would someday love to own a corgi.
7. I would love to someday be free from anxiety and stress. I would love to be able to put my head down on my pillow at night and just drift into a peaceful, restful slumber. My dream is that someday, at some point in my life, I will realise that the anxiety was never worth it. I’m just not quite there yet.
Most of all, I want to be able to look back and think “yeah, I did pretty good.”
And my nominees:
Not Quite London
Sorry I haven’t nominated more guys, but I’ve been off the radar for a while! If you want to take part, please just go on ahead!
Anyway, I’m going to finish off by saying a HUUUUGE thank you to everyone who follows, likes and comments on my posts. I recently hit 1,000 followers which made me feel so special and loved (take that, traumatic childhood…just kidding, kinda).
My blog also just turned two years old, and it’s just crazy that I’ve managed to hang on to it for this length of time. My attention span is usually so- SQUIRREL!
So genuinely, from the bottom of my very weird heart, thank you all for always been patient and kind to me. You are all magical angel dolphins, which are totally a thing.